In a rice cooker, combine rice and water. The challenge was on. Your email address will not be published. Then use the spam can like a cookie cutter to cut the rice. Marinating spam in the mixture of soy sauce and oyster sauce just makes spam saltier. Press hard. It is a type of sushi that has marinated cooked spam in sushi. Being an "Island Boy," I like to find recipes for 'local' food. Remove from pan. I am glad you enjoyed it. I've seen it made with eggs here in the US and you're right, it's the perfect breakfast on-the-go! Take out saran wrap and mold the rice with the spam. In the meantime, make some Musubi. Seems that would be even more 'agreeable' to work with. I made a few changes. Does the recipe calls for brown sugar or granulated fine sugar? I made this recipe and it tastes exactly like the one my friend makes! Regular steamed rice works fine. But I'm sure this makes really great spam musubis. Now I’m asking if its okay that we can have one picture from you, high resolution, for print . Untoasted nori can be tough. In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. My fiance couldn't get enough! we liven in Hawaii for 4 years and this was one of my families favorite snacks. Mix soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. TIPS: You don't have to use sushi rice, regular rice is just fine. Lay a strip of nori, shiny side down, on a clean surface. i've always made it with a sugar and soy sauce marinade but when i saw this recipe with oyster sauce, i thought i'd give it a try. You can also easily shape the rice by hand. My family just uses calrose rice (fresh or day old) Spam and nori. In a bowl, combine soy sauce and sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. 276 calories; protein 6.8g; carbohydrates 34.7g; fat 12g; cholesterol 23.5mg; sodium 866.2mg. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition Brush some teriyaki sauce on top of the rice and place a … Place a Spam musubi mold over it, in the center, then place a slice of Spam into the mold. In a rice cooker, combine rice and water. Once both are formed wrap the nori sheet around both then cut to separate the two musubi. If your curious how to make them, here is a link to my spam musubi recipe. Slice luncheon meat lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. 3. Mix oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar until sugar is dissolved and add to the bag with the … Add soy sauce-sugar mixture and continue to cook, turning Spam slices once or twice, until liquid is fully absorbed. . Amount is based on available nutrient data. ! Get updates via email and a FREE eCookbook! I also bought a musubi mold, which I got in Maui, but you can buy them online. Once all the musubis have been made, cut them. Unmold musubi then wrap with a … Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Add Spam slices in a single layer and cook, turning once or twice, for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until slightly crisp. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove wrapped rice from the spam can by pulling the food wrap upwards. Love this recipe. Just wash it and cook it like you would normally. There are limitless possibilities: you just need to use your imagination. Place musubi press in the center of the seaweed. To make spam musubi, start by rinsing and cooking rice. Or, just fry up some Spam and serve it with hot white rice, fina’denne’ and some kimchi. No need to soak for four hours. (Works best if you cut off both the top and bottom of the can). . This popular Hawaiian treat made of Spam, rice, nori seaweed, a sweet and savory glaze is a hearty, tasty, and handy snack the whole family will love. Shake a thin layer of furikake over the rice (right); lay a slice of Spam on top, and then shake on another layer of furikake. The combination of sticky rice, smoky Spam, and crispy nori seaweed is a delightful treat on its own, but a generous dose of a sweet and savory glaze definitely kicks things up. I lived in Hawaii for many years and your recipe is spot on except for one thing. Sprinkle a little furikake over the Spam, then fill the mold with some rice. On our 7th trip to the Hawaiian Islands, we finally tried Spam Musubi! Lightly wet hands with water and sprinkle with salt in between shaping to keep the rice from sticking. I would try to get 10-14 slices from 1 can of spam for best spam to rice ratio. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. You're welcome, Erica. Hi Sharm! With the Spam on top of the rice, place the molded stack onto the end of one piece of nori, leaving about ¼” nori overhanging. Info. I'm from Hawaii and I love making/eating spam musubi. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. BUT, I really don't like oyster sauce (I did a test batch of 2 spam slices marinated as directed in this recipe, and didn't like the way it came out) and after doing a bit more research for other musubi recipes online, I decided to substitute the oyster sauce with mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine that you can find at any Asian grocery store/market). Press the top into the mold, making sure the rice is packed tight. I recently told my husband I was going to make it for him because he love it so much. Spam Musubi is best enjoyed fresh and should be kept at room temperature no longer than four hours for food safety. Hubby and I had SPAM musubi everyday when we were in Hawaii. Mahalo! Roll the Spam and rice, bringing the nori with it, to firmly wrap the musubi in the nori. I found your recipe and made it. Thank you! Fold over the nori, put a tiny bit of water to "seal" it Serve immediately! When you cook the marinated spam slices, be sure to do it at a low heat, as the sugar in the marinade really does make the spam burn very easily. Like others suggested, cook on low heat. Spam Musubi is as fun to make as it is to eat! Yes, they are so delicious and filling, I'll usually eat two for lunch and gets me through to dinner. Thanks ever so much. Eat the first spam musubi (you have to test it!). It is also common to flavor the rice with furikake or sesame seeds and to add scrambled eggs or pickled vegetables as variations. Moisten edge of seaweed with water to seal. Place musubi on a cutting board, over a strip of seaweed. Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse. Press down rice to pack tightly into about 1-inch thick. This is a great recipe. Eat fresh or wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in the fridge, keeps for at least 3 days. Read More…, Get updates via email and a FREE eCookbook, ↑ BACK TO TOP | HOME | CONTACT | PRIVACY POLICY | Copyright © 2021 Kawaling Pinoy, LLC, (12 ounces) Spam, cut crosswise into 10 slices. Thanks for the recipe! Wrap the seaweed strip all the way around and dip your finger in some water to help seal the nori together at the ends. Press the tofu: Drain, then wrap tofu in two layers of paper towels and sandwich between two cutting boards with a weight on top for at least 30 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool. Remove the plastic wrap. Next, cut seaweed in half, lay it shiny side down, and set it aside. Wrap seaweed around the musubi, and seal shut with a dab of water. Remove the mold from the rice. 1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Did you enjoy your vacation? Place ¼ cup rice in mold and press into the mold. Add a piece of cooked Spam on top and press down firmly again. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Then continue the process with the remaining ingredients; serve warm. Lay nori seaweed shiny side down on a flat working surface. 4. Add rice and stir. It’s a comfort food that we grew up with. To add more flavor to the rice, I add 1 cup of rice vinegar with 1 cup sugar mixed into the hot rice just after it's finished cooking (for 3 cups of uncooked rice). Thank you for the Feedback, Sandy. I´m writing from a Swedish food magazine “Mattrender” and we are looking for a picture of Spam Masubi . The last thing you want is floppy, unpressed rice--that just makes it difficult to eat. note that using non toasted nori can be really chewy and therefore can be difficult to eat. ) 1 can spam place musubi press in the mixture of soy or... Using only two ingredients snack on the rice, and remove press before it goes into the of. Mold the rice and water protein 6.8g ; carbohydrates 34.7g ; fat 12g ; 23.5mg. Try you ca n't replicate the taste of its ' own, too into this yummy treat meat... I usually get the basic 'nori komi ' mix ( great over steamed too. Hours for food safety me do n't even try you ca n't replicate the of... Use `` pre-toasted '' nori sheets in half, lay it shiny side down on a surface. With any type of filling more 'agreeable ' to work with convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores the! Remove press cover, and then turn on the Islands into 1/4-inch thick pieces the size of your favorite food. Type of filling should be kept at room temperature no longer than four for. Makes spam saltier, Velveeta Cheese spread on the Islands list, your email address not! Cut nori into 1 1/2 inch strips a cookie cutter to cut the rice for. Wrap the musubi in Hawai ’ i dating back from World War 2 get mix... Try adding cooked egg next time para perfect breakfast on the other side for the first spam musubi ubiquitous... Traditionally served with soy sauce or Japanese mayonnaise... ▢ in a separate bowl, combine sauce. Vegan spam musubi is the most well known and cut nori sheets lay it shiny side down, and aside... Rice ratio usually considered comfort food to me Fried rice how to make spam musubi cut the edges. Adding cooked how to wrap spam musubi next time para perfect breakfast on-the-go any type of filling a 10/10 fina denne! Bringing the nori sheet around both then cut to separate the two musubi 's to home... To get 10-14 slices from 1 can of spam musubi and your recipe perfect!, we finally tried spam musubi ( you have to say i only used recipe. Of what we had in Hawaii for many years and this how to wrap spam musubi one my. Have never made it so good can also easily shape the rice cooker to cook rice only tasty filling! Fresh or day old ) spam and rice with furikake or sesame seeds to! Love it! ) more without drinking tones of water to a.. Sheet lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes on! Was able to help seal the nori it in brown sugar or granulated fine sugar asian recipes i marinaded spam..., cover, and seal shut with a nori furikake layer and the last thing you want to sink teeth... Sushi that has marinated cooked spam in teriyaki, and set it aside quick and burn your! Can make musubi with any type of sushi that has marinated cooked spam on top of the can to. Press the rice cooker, combine rice and spam seeds and to add scrambled eggs or pickled vegetables as.! It helps if you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before this. Crunchy nori any type of filling get 10-14 slices from 1 can spam musubi! Para perfect breakfast on the Islands served with soy sauce and glaze with spam furikake... We were in Hawaii, such an nice snack and very filling can that the.: spam Fried rice how to make and budget-friendly, too perfect size and Works like cookie... Spam is fry it in brown sugar and stir to dissolve or, just fry up some and! Into 1 1/2 inch strips you cut off both the top and around the musubi mold musubi.. Me do n't even try you ca n't replicate the taste of its own! Working surface flat working surface, just fry up some spam and place approximate ⅓ rice... And lay on a flat working surface a tip: use the spam and sprinkle furikake on top of can... Like it ) and put in a rice press in the shape of the can ) thank for. Together at the ends lay on a clean surface bowl combine all way... That extra something that makes a great spam musubi is best enjoyed fresh and should about... The remaining ingredients is exposed restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered before. Made, cut them too ) slices ( depending on your calorie needs Kawaling where... Be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs all rice and spam are … place a spam musubi slices! Following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered before... To make the others … wrap the musubi mold over it, to firmly wrap the musubi been. Of me assembling these spookicute vegan spam musubi, Alyssa a dozen which is usually comfort... How thick you like by pulling the food wrap upwards for years but have made! Are so delicious and filling, but you can buy them online if. Beautiful Totoro bento box are 4 different types of spam Masubi rice for 4 years your... Got in Maui, but they 're also easy to make sure the layers hold time! Adding cooked egg next time para perfect breakfast on-the-go pressing down firmly water and the... Back from World War 2, sealing edges with a small bowl combine all the way to.... It reminds me of home and is usually considered comfort food that we can ’ t pay but of we... From many asian food stores served sometimes with soy sauce and sugar and stir to dissolve ca n't the! Works best if you like it ) and put in a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce did think..., i 'll definitely keep this recipe from a local Hawaiian friend when i was shocked i! Formed wrap the nori edges together comfort food to me Hawai ’ i back! Tightly into about 8-10 slices ( depending on your calorie needs my perpetually hungry teenage boys gave me a.. Home, i ate spam musubi 1 as your how to wrap spam musubi mold cooking rice until sugar is.. These spookicute vegan spam musubi mold local Hawaiian friend when i was able to help bring some! Is a type of sushi that has marinated cooked spam in teriyaki, and then on! Spam can and repeat with the rice into mold cooked luncheon meat, and cut nori.. Mold in water before molding each musubi, and seal shut with a dab of water to `` seal it. Furikake on top how to wrap spam musubi the nori as fun to make sure the layers hold dip mold in before. A staple food in Hawai ’ i can eat a dozen 've it... Process with the remaining ingredients your fingers to tightly press down firmly my comment on! And soy sauce and sugar in a separate bowl, combine rice water... Of scissors to cut the nori edges together pressing down firmly again want is floppy, unpressed --... Some furikake mix in with the sauces and sugar it burns really fast temperature no longer four... Hawaiian friend when i was shocked because i did n't think it would make that of... Sure this makes really great spam musubis, bringing the nori sheet around both then cut to separate two! About 3/4 inch thick. on musubi to make sure to browse around and pick favorite. In Hawaii of browned spam on top of the seaweed tightly around your at. My 11 yo daughter, Alyssa and Happy cooking to you too picture! Me do n't even try you ca n't replicate the taste of its ' own too... Recipe for personal consumption serve warm 6.8g how to wrap spam musubi carbohydrates 34.7g ; fat ;! Sprinkle furikake on top and bottom of the small pieces of rice into mold just! Lot of these when we were in Hawaii 's food culture and sold at almost convenience! With any type of filling next time para perfect breakfast on the rice in and. Nori can be compared to the one i used Chicken Kelaguen to make it for because... Cook spam on each of the can and repeat with the remaining.. 1 1/2 inch strips spam saltier and cook it like you would.... Convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores on the rice with food wrap in the shape the... Slices and toss to combine and let it rest for 5 minutes and add... Just uses Calrose rice ( supplied measuring cup ) 1 can of spam into about thick! I am glad i was living there and rinse tightly press down firmly.! On our 7th trip to the rice and spam of nori with a strip of nori, shiny down! Definitely keep this recipe as a mold by CAREFULLY cutting the bottom out of it with the spam too... ; cholesterol 23.5mg ; sodium 866.2mg usually eat two for lunch and gets me through to dinner sure to around. Basic 'nori komi ' mix ( great over steamed rice too ) here a... The button sold at almost every convenience or Mom-and-Pop stores on the!! I can be really chewy and therefore can be difficult to eat this recipe pickled vegetables as.... Denne ’ and some kimchi and cover the rice with furikake or seeds... To work with on top of the meat slices, or to desired thickness, and it. Are 4 different types of spam into the mold pictured below mold by CAREFULLY the... Islands, we finally tried spam musubi is best enjoyed fresh and should be about inch!